Board-Certified Orthodontist Engaged Exclusively in the Private Practice of Orthodontics
Orthodontics means everything to me. I love creating beautiful smiles, not only because they are functional and healthy, but also because they will make a lifelong change in my patients’ self-esteem. One of the most enjoyable aspects of my job is getting to know my patients on a personal level throughout their treatment. It makes me feel engaged with my community and everyone in it.
I live right here in Yorba Linda, a community that I’ve called home for more than three decades. I am married to a wonderful wife and have five children. All have attended our local schools and have been a part of our community.
It is great to be a part of Yorba Linda, doing career days at the schools, sponsoring the sports teams, and most of all, making a difference in the lives of young people. I am involved with leadership in the Sierra Club, Angeles Chapter, and currently serve on the Leadership Training Committee as the Mountaineering Technical Snow Chair, so I evaluate and pass off prospective leaders who want to lead mountain snow climbs.
My interests outside of orthodontics, my family, and my community include mountaineering, backpacking, and hiking. In the past, I’ve led climbing teams to th summits of more than 430 peaks in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Rocky Mountain range, Cascade range, and in foreign countries. My greatest mountaineering achievements were climbing Aconcagua (22,861 feet), the highest peak in the Western Hemisphere, and Mt. McKinley (20,300 feet), the highest peak in North America.
- Certificate in orthodontics – University of Southern California, Graduate Department of Orthodontics
- Doctorate of Medical Dentistry – University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Bachelor of Arts in biology – University of California, Fullerton
I have worked hard during the past 30 years to be involved in almost every facet of orthodontics, including teaching in the USC Graduate Orthodontic Department, training new orthodontists, serving in several orthodontic study clubs and societies, lecturing on treatment in several seminars, giving presentations to youth groups on careers, and providing expert testimony in legal cases.
- Clinical Faculty Teacher of the Year, USC Department of Orthodontics, University of Southern California, School of Dentistry; 1999, 2004, and 2006
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, Eta Chapter, Dental Honor Society
- Outstanding Service as Part-Time Faculty, University of Southern California, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry
- American College of Stomatologic Surgeons for accomplishments in surgical areas of endodontics, periodontics, and oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Certificate of Appreciation for Teaching Excellence, University of Pennsylvania, Department of Restorative Dentistry
Positions and Appointments
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthodontics, University of Southern California, School of Dentistry, January 1994 to present
- Board of Directors, Edward H. Angle Orthodontic Society, Southern California Component, and past president
- North Orange County Regional Occupational Program Advisory committee, 2003-2007
- American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- California State Society of Orthodontists
- Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthodontics
- National Board of Dental Examiners, American Dental Association
- California State Board of Dental Examiners
Peer-Reviewed Professional Publications
- Case Report: Use of Maxillary Intraosseous Implants for Anchorage in Class II Elastics. The Angle Orthodontist. 65:3, 1995.
- Indirect Bonding with Adhesive Precoated Brackets. Journal of Clinical Orthodontics. 27:164, 1993.
- Technique Modifications to Optimize Ceramic Bracket Performance. Journal of Clinical Orthodontics. 25:439, 1991.
- Evaluation of Crystalline Aggregate Retention for Direct Bonding Adhesives. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California.
- Grants: University of Southern California School of Dentistry Foundation of Dental Research. Scanning Electron Micrographs of Bis GMA Resins as Direct Bonding Adhesives.
- Veteran, honorable discharge
- Specialty or MOS: Airborne Intelligence & Operations
- Duty tours included Monterey and Oakland, California, Georgia, and Texas
- Special schools included Leadership Training School, NCO School, and paratrooper school